Monday, December 6, 2010

Packing Light


I want to make a point to say that I am not a gear head but having the right gear is important.  I don't have a ton of gear but I make use of what I do have.

I recently did a review of the LowePro Fastpack 100 on a forum I am apart of; Photographycorner.com, and found that I love this bag mainly because it is small and fits my current gear selection.  It kind of forces me to pack light.  I think learning to pack for a photo shoot is essential and is part of your style.  I see it as: bring what is needed to make a comfortable place for the client.  Too much gear may scare the subject, if they are not in front of the camera that often; making it about the photographer and his/gear. I like to know my clients needs and then adapt what I have for gear to those needs.  Also doing research on locations and coming up with a shot list helps me figure out what exactly I need to bring I'm not bashing those photographers who bring everything, I just think packing lighter can have its advantages, especially for on-location portrait photographers working on their own.  I don't want to be fumbling with bags stands and too much equipment.

To add to this I am going to do a quick review of the Digital Holster 50 (not the V2.0), from ThinkTank Photo and how I am working it into my "packing light" scheme.  First I would like to thank Seshu (@picseshu) and David Jackson (@davidejackson) for choosing my comment on David's "Open Letter to a Local Photographer" post on Tiffinbox.org, and for providing this bag to me.  I really enjoyed that post by David and didn't even know there was a prize involved, but thanks anyway.

At first I thought this bag was going to be way to big for my current needs.  I only have a Nikon D50 and my largest lens is a Sigma 70-300.  I have tested the fit with that lens on and with the lens hood attached.  It  does have snug fit but what can I use this bag for; it appears it is a single purpose bag?  Like I said above, I like to know what I am bringing and plan ahead so I don't have multiple bags.  This seems to only fit a camera with large lens one it; although I could probably put a smaller lens under the lens hood with the given padded separator.  I have not had a chance to actually use it in the field but I think I will find a use for it.  Maybe when on a hike and want to keep a long lens on and be able to access the camera easily with a small pack on.  The construction seems very sturdy and durable, and I have heard great things about ThinkTank Products so this a my first experience with one.  The strap is very comfortable and I like the non-slip feature, it actually works.  The built in rain cover is a great asset and I may use that for other bags that I have.  This would not be a typical bag I would shoot out of for a portrait session, unless I had another body with a long lens.

I will probably use both bags for what what they were intended for but I would like a more practical bag for everyday shooting, one that can carry multiple lenses and strobes.  The Holster is a great idea and I will find a use for it but feel like it is too much bag for my little camera.   Although the D300s looks like it would fit nicely in there with a battery grip, maybe I just need the gear to that fits better in it.  Time to start saving up for an upgrade!

No comments:

Post a Comment